Basic Fluency System
- Category: Products
Easy-to-use DAF/FAF device for face-to-face conversations or telephone calls. Many states provide the Basic Fluency System free to qualified residents.
Altered Auditory Feedback Features
The Basic Fluency System provides two or three types of altered auditory feedback (AAF).
- Delayed auditory feedback (DAF) immediately reduces stuttering about 70% at normal speaking rates without training, mental effort, or abnormal-sounding or abnormally slow speech. 55% carryover fluency after removing the device, without speech therapy. With speech therapy, DAF can induce a slower speaking rate with stretched vowels to make even severe stutterers nearly 100% fluent.
- Pitch-shifting frequency-shifted auditory feedback (FAF) immediately reduces stuttering about 70% at normal speaking rates and induces speech motor changes in stutterers. Only Casa Futura Technologies stuttering treatment devices have octave-scale FAF downshifting (pitch shifting). Combining DAF and FAF increases effectiveness.
- Optional ($25 additional) manual sine wave masking auditory feedback (MAF) pulls stutterers out of silent blocks at the touch of a button.
Headsets and Earsets
The Basic Fluency System works with all standard headphones and microphones. Two headsets and earsets are provided:
- The Sennheiser PC131 full-size headset gives you the best sound quality and maximizes the SmallTalk's effectiveness. By using the full-size headset on telephone calls, in speech therapy, and in stressful conversations such as public speaking, you'll maximize carryover fluency and not need to use the device for lower-stress conversations. The full-size headset also allows listeners to try your SmallTalk to hear what it sounds like. Then they'll want to talk to you about stuttering and you'll discover that there's no reason to be ashamed or embarrassed about your speech.
- A Plantronics MX100S binaural (two ear) wired iPod-style earset is included. These sound good, are comfortable, and are simple and easy to use. Any other standard wired earset can be used.
- Optional accessories include Bluetooth wireless earsets.
Background Noise Rejection
The Sennheiser PC131 headset has a noise-canceling microphone to eliminate noise at the source. Electronic circuits filter high-frequency noise above your vocal range. Moderate (-0.4 octave) FAF effectively reduces stuttering yet is acoustically transparent if the device picks up background noise. An optional throat microphone eliminates background noise even in extreme conditions.
The Basic Fluency System plugs into telephones. You hear your voice and the caller's voice in both ears; the caller hears your normal voice. Leave your Basic Fluency System plugged into your telephone and practice speech therapy on every call. Many states provide the Basic Fluency System free to qualified residents who stutter.
- DAF range 30 milliseconds to 200 milliseconds. User-adjustable.
- FAF range: 0, -0.4, -0.8 octaves (three settings). User-adjustable.
- Binaural (two ear) or monaural (one ear) sound. Binaural sound is 25% more effective than monaural sound and is recommended for severe stutterers; mild stutterers may be able to use monaural sound.
- 35-7500 Hz frequency range clearly reproduces all vocal frequencies of adults and children.
- 9-volt battery last about 15 hours. AC adapter (included) doesn't charge the battery.
- Black case, with belt clip.
- Two 3.5mm jacks for any standard microphone and headphones. One 2.5mm jack for any standard cellphone earset.
- 4.5" x 2.7" x 0.9" (11.5 cm x 7 cm x 2 cm); about the size of an iPod.
- 4.6 ounces (130 grams).
What's in the Box
- Basic Fluency System
- Sennheiser PC131 binaural (two ears) lightweight headset
- Plantronics MX100S binaural (two ears) earset
- Telephone cable
- AC adapter (doesn't charge battery). Tell us if you need 220-volt European, British, or Australian plugs.
- No Miracle Cures: A Multifactoral Guide to Stuttering Therapy book with DVD